Wednesday, September 9, 2009

going overboard

here's another post. found a wonderful website called rejoiceministries.org.
i know i'm being silly today but i really like how this sounds.if i thought my husband would receieve it from me i'd send it to him. but he wouldn't read it.

IF IT WEREN'T FOR THE GRACE OF GOD
SOME OTHER MAN-
could be praying with my wife today.
could be hearing my wife say, "that's all right."
could know what it's like to play with my grandchildren.
could be getting goose bumps when my wife says, "I'm proud of you."
could enjoy having my wife call him, "Honey."
could be sitting in church with my wife.
could be feasting on my wife's cooking.
could know how it feels to hold hands with my wife.
could know what it's like to be intimate with my wife.
could be with my wife, children, and grandchildren on holidays.
BUT NO OTHER MAN-
could ever love my wife as I do.
could ever call my wife his covenant wife.
could ever know what it's like to be one flesh with my wife.
could ever love my children and grandchildren as I do.
could ever tap into the early memories of our marriage.
could ever have his family loved by my wife as is mine.
could ever know my wife on a real wedding night.
could ever look into my wife's eyes and know what she is feeling.
could ever really know that God had blessed their marriage.
could ever say nothing, yet communicate with my wife.
could hear my wife say, "I forgive you" and know that she has.
-Bob Steinkamp
"For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and they will become one flesh."Genesis 2:24

and then this is part of the devotional today on endurance. it was really good. this is just the last thing the woman said:
One of the secrets of endurance is being inspired by hope in our Lord Jesus Christ. Your Lord has given you promises to you for you to develop endurance and patience for your marriage to be renewed, restored and reconciled by your Lord. Don't give up, run the race to win the prize that the Lord has for you and your family.
"But you, man of God, flee from all this, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance and gentleness. Fight the good fight of the faith." I Timothy 6:11-12

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, that's a nice sentiment from an obviously much older, wiser, seasoned man with years of experience screwing up. I think you need to find something more realistic to cling to. It sure seems like your hung up on some things that could be considered selfish. There is more than just one "sins of the father" force at work here. It isn't all on TJ's side of the family. Don't forget, much as I love Meme and her kids and they are my favorite relatives, Papaw DID leave Grandma, Dad, Uncle Randy, Uncle Danny and Aunt LaDonna for them. And stayed married to Meme all these years. And she's the boss. The similarities are just a bit too uncanny, in this case. Particularly when you figure in the jilted first wife who became hell-bent on smoking, as the one (selfish) thing she did "for herself". Talk about slow and chronic suicide. Your kids only have one parent now. They can't afford to lose you, not even if later rather than sooner. Stop playing Russian Roulette with your life and start living, girl!

Nan Sheppard said...

Wow, you are going through some huge stuff! I know that, whatever happens, it will be for the best for you because you're obviously a person with faith. Meanwhile, are YOU still going to counselling? Sounds like you can use all the help you can get right now, and those therapists are so good. I know!

If he doesn't come limping back, (some do!) you'll know you've done your best, and he just has to journey on his own, to learn whatever it is he must. It's possible he needs a whole lifetime to learn to be truthful and responsible and grown-up, and I hope he doesn't leave a string of broken homes behind him. With abandoned ex-wives who became boring once they had a baby.

jellybean said...

Nan- loved your comment! especailly the end! i hope it doesn't take him a life time to learn all that -but it may.and that's just his problem.no one can save him, as much as we'd like to try.he's going to have to take responsability himself.