Monday, January 5, 2009

i have no guts

i don't want to have any baby showers.

i know this one is a girl. but standarad protocall -atleast in my family -was only one baby shower given for the very first baby had by each aunt,cousin,sister,etc. after that that was it. it didn't matter if the next kid was a different sex or not. one baby shower was it.

TJ's family -oh they want to throw a baby shower for everyone they know who is having a baby no matter how many kids they already have.

my neighbor is giving me all of her little girl stuff. her youngest daughter is 5 months old -that's plenty of space between our kids to allow for passing down items.
all of the baby showers i had when i was pregnant with Teege i got the same stuff over and over and over again: blankets and 0-3 month onesies. a few scattered outfits here and there for as he got older.and the the folks that were really smart bought me things like bath stuff and towels and diapers and a high chair and little sick baby care kits,etc. usefull things like diaper rash cream and vaseline and safety ear swabs(those are VERY HANDY BY THE WAY!)but mostly blankets, and onesies. and to be honest, i kind of hate onesies, atleast after they hit a certain age. after they're like 6 months old it's easier to pull a shirt on for me. do you know how much stuff i took back? i had over 400$ in store credit that i stashed away for diapers. i guess i could do that again.
and it would only be 1 shower. and there are a select few things i need. maybe i'll ask them just to give us money. that settles the hassle of returning stuff i don't like or won't use.and i can go get my own stuff. but if there's one thing i noticed about all of my showers(the 4 or 5 that i had before) last time was that hardly anyone buys anything off a registry they just get you what they think is cute.
i know. i'm guilty of it myself b/c i'm too lazy to look up someones registry most of the time.
but the items i need are the expensive ones like a multi child baby monitor system(that's a whopping 150.00. really,who would buy that??)

anyway, my mother in law told me last night that they were looking at the last weekend in march for my shower. it would be in seguine. almost 2 hrs away from me. and no one i know would come (besides my mom and my sisters and maybe my nana) b/c like i said before, no one on my side of the family agrees with hosting a shower every time someone is pregnant. which is fine with me. and i don't keep the same company i did when i was working -i've lost touch with all of those girls pretty much - and even if i hadn't, no one would drive that far.
i guess i could ask for a compramise like -why don't we have it at my house - or something like that. (oh, and i guess they didn't ask me to pick a date b/c they either thought i wouldn't or they figured since i wasn't working i just happened to be available that day.....)
the last shower they threw me was a flop anyway b/c my MIL lived out in the middle of BFE and it was a 4 hr drive and on one came, aside from the few stragglers who always attend family functions.
atleast she's closer this time.
i just didn't have the heart to tell her i wasn't planning on a shower this time around.

i kind of wish i had.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Seguin is too far.

I'm sure they'll call you between now and March and you can tell them to skip it.

I always wondered how parents felt about onesies, 'cuz they don't make all that much sense to me.

Meanwhile, I ordered those two 12-month outfits I showed you, and what do you think of:

this

and this?

jellybean said...

yeah. i was kind of thinking i could always call her and say "my neighbor's got so much stuff for me that i'd rather not have a shower....."
as for the outfits: don't really care for the first one -though it's not hideous by anymeans - and i LOVE the 2nd!
onesies aren't the devil -teege is actually wearing one today since it's cold out -and it's nice when you want that "tucked in" look with pants. i've just always thought of them as strictly a new born to like 6 months or so item. i still put them on him, sometimes it's just one less step in a hundred when it comes to getting them dressed not to have to stop and snap all those snaps.especially when they have learned to turn over in the middle of every diaper/clothes change. course once they start trying to take all their clothes off they can only get as far the onesie -which means that their diaper stays ON!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the first one, but I just can't get past my personal hangup of buying a child something WHITE to wear...

jellybean said...

i understand. i rarely put teege in white. i've done it. but it never makes it thru a day.
the other day he had on a white t-shirt. i gave him oranges at lunch. even with his bib on he still managed to get orange squished all over it! that's why we have bleach i guess.

Cupcake Blonde said...

Uhm...I'm sorry. You are the one carrying the baby, am I right? You are the one the shower would be for? So why are they inconvienancing you and not allowing you any say on date or place? That is just plain selfish and rude. What is the point of having a shower for you. 2 hours away? Ridiculous! I would say thank you but no thank you and if they insist on having something then they should make it accomadating to you. I mean come on, you're pregnant with a toddler and all on your own!

jellybean said...

vp -my thoughts exactly. i really was going to call and tell her i'd decided i didn't want to have a shower, but a friend of mine said i should, just so i could get all the girly sheeshee stuff. though i agree with this, anything that my mother in law does is usually inconvenient and full of hassle.
take registering for instance: she hasn't asked me to register for stuff. and i haven't brought it up yet b/c there are really only 2 things i can think of that i need still, but for the last shower she had for me, though i was registered at babysrus and target she told me i "had to" register at walmart b/c folks on her side of the family don't have those "other stores"..... um,ever heard of ordering online and shipping it to me?

Steelers Wine Girl said...

I agree - totally inconvenient! I've never heard of someone throwing a shower for someone that forces the guest of honor to travel in order to attend it. Duh!