Monday, January 5, 2009

sneaky sister in law

i came home from target yesterday and the first thing i hear is the answering machine beeping with a new message.
first things first: it was nap time so i got teege all settled in his bed.
then i brought in my grocery bags.
i finally check the machine to hear my sister in law hollering my name over the speaker to see if i was home and then say "we're driving thru your side of town on our way home and wanted to see if you wanted to meet somewhere and eat. call me back!"

i give them a good 30 minutes before calling back, hoping they had gone on their merry way thru town.
when i do call back i find that they aren't even to austin yet and she wanted to know if wanted to meet "them" for dinner.(not surea t this point who "them" is) i told her that so long that as i wasn't later than 6 -b/c that's only as far as teege can make it without eating -i'd meet them and she should call me when they got to town.
"well were stopping to see "his" cousin(i'm assuming she means her boyfriend's cousin) and we should be in town around 4. i'll call you after while"
4pm comes and goes.
i had made an attempt to fix myself up for going out b/c i hadn't washed my hair or face all day and kind of looked like hell. so i made myself presentable. which at least made me feel better.
at 5 15 i call my sister in law back. only to get voice mail. leave her a message that i have to go ahead and feed teege b/c he's starving and to call me and let me know where to meet them.
at 6 i finally call my mother in law (they were all at a wedding this weekend but apparently weren't riding in the same car) she had already blown thru austin and hit san antonio to pick up her dogs and was almost home. i chatted with her(which is how i found about the baby shower) and then told her that the others had invited me to dinner but i couldn't' get hold of anyone and i guessed that since it was getting so late i'd just bathe teege and put him to bed. she said "that's what i would do."

sister in law finally called me at 7 49 and apologized. said she got sick at her bf's cousins house and laid down and feel asleep.
i think they all went to dinner with his family instead.
i don't care that they ditched me i just wish she would have called a little earlier and canceled. instead of flaking on me. ah but she is only 18 - or is it 19?-
i always have to remember this.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man, I had high hopes for her when she was like, 14... but she sure fell off the wagon fast.

jellybean said...

she did.on some things she's really smart. on the other hand, sometimes she's still so not grown up i have to stop and think about how old she really is and why she might be acting so immature about something.

Anonymous said...

I think she cops to the family "attitude" quite a bit, myself. Hiding behind heredity, rather than being her own person.

Acting your age is one thing, behaving like that when you know better is another. I think you should just quit answering your phone when they call.

Cupcake Blonde said...

I have disappointed by many a phone call like this myself. Peole coming into town "Oh we will definitely hook up and see you" and then nothing. I finally had to take invitations on a grain of salt. Even plans made in advance always seem to be cancelled because something better comes along. I try not to let it bug me.

jellybean said...

vp - yes. usually with dh's family it is best to kind of carry on with what you were originally doing and if the rest of the clan showed up -great! his dad is the worst. he always calls and says he's coming and then never shows.