Monday, April 6, 2009

sweet berry farm

we went and picked strawberries at the berry farm in marble falls this weekend. we were at the park that morning and mom pointed out that a couple sitting at a picnic table had a berry farm box. i immidiately flipped over the idea! mom and dad went to pick up my niece that afternoon and we kind of thought we may not have time to go berry picking before the farm closed. but we did.
when we got there and got out of the car it was -well- amazing!
the scent of fresh ripe strawberries floated on the cool breeze.
it was like walking in to a jelly factory or something while they were making strawberry jam.
who would have thought that actual fresh sun-ripened berries would have such a sweet smell -almost like artificially flavored strawberry candy!
oh and we got a fresh strawberry lemonade to share too.it was super yummy! ESPECIALLY after being out in the hot.
and teege did great picking his own berries.
he needed a little help b/c his first instinct was to grab and pull the fruit itself, and there was a lot of squishing involved.but he did alright! we did a lot of picking and handing to him to put in the box.
we picked almost 6 lbs of berries in a half an hr.
it was so much fun!
i wish i had more pictures but at some point i just coudln't stop picking long enough to snap pictures!
mom has all of the good pictures of my niece, i can't figure out how to get them out of my email.
it made me miss auntie shades. i kept thinking 'who's missing?" the whole time we were at my mom's this weekend. especially when we went to get berries.she would have had such fun.
i wanted to take teege over to see the horses, but they were way on the other side of the farm from us.
maybe another day.
the blackberries weren't ready yet. they don't get ripe til may. and by then i'll have a new baby.
but i might have mom drive us back out there one more time before the baby comes.it was so refreshing to be out there picking berries.
but i am so glad i live in modern times.
i was so sore the next day from all the bending and then up and down and it was super warm out and i just kept thinking "this is what women back in the day had to endure all the way up to delivering their babies out in the fields! it's hot and sticky and i'm tired of bending down and my belly is heavy and i'm sure i look like a giant hippo out here all hunched over with my butt in the air. but i don't care. this is fun! but i'm glad i don't have to work a farm every day!"
i have a great pic of fat ol' me all bent down trying to pick berries.if i can figure out how to get it saved to my computer out of my email i'll put it up!




































4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww! What fun! I'm glad you guys got to go, and had such a great time! I love seeing the pics, at least! and I'm glad Dad had a rare weekend off to help you & Mom with Gomer!

Oh, and you can right click on the pics in your email, and do a "save image as", then select the file to save the photos to, name them, and, voila!

jellybean said...

shades i tried that. the right click on the picture. the only option i get is to copy. it's something the kodak gallery has started i guess b/c folks were emailing pics to family and rather then them ordering prints they were just right clicking and saving it to the desktop. i've got atleast 8 emails sitting in my inbox with pictures from mom and neighbor and can't figure out how to download them.i'm using microsoft office for my email, i wonder if i go in to hotmail from MSN if it'll work. i'll try it!
it was nice to have dad around to help this weekend, gomer entertains herself well, but she does have that 'only child' attitude about her.
she pushed tj several times and is very bossy -to anyone.

Cupcake Blonde said...

I love strawberry picking! I miss that a lot. I wonder if there are any places near here that do it. It was my most favorite thing to do in the summer. I would eat one and then put one in my basket. :)

Steelers Wine Girl said...

How fun! And Teege is adorable. I only picked strawberries once in my life, but it was memorable and delish!