Tuesday, April 15, 2008

the sound of a true love

so i was up piddling around late last night online. when i finally took myself back to bed sometime after 11 i had barely set foot thru the doorway of our bedroom when i hear this.
THUMP THUMP THUMP THUMP.

My heart melted.

there is a pause in the thumping as i gently click the door closed so as to not wake sleeping hubby and as i take a step towards my side of the bed i hear it again.
THUMP THUMP THUMP THUMP

it is Chewy. my oh so loyal, follow me all over the house, never let me out of his sight golden retriever.(no kidding! he even follows me to the bathroom!!)usually my trips around the house in the middle of the night involve him following me around. scoping out whatever it is that might harm me in some way, or maybe he just is all knowing of my need for some kind of constant company. i guess last night he didn't seem to think that i needed him and he stayed sprawled out across our bedroom floor.(a little out of the ordinary for him.)

nonetheless i rounded the foot of the bed and dropped to my knees where i showered Chew with lots of soft pats and whispers of what a good boy he is.

there is something about the sound of that forever thumping tale that says " i love you. no matter what you say to me or what you think about yourself, i love you!"

and i find comfort in that.
man's bestfriend indeed. they are the one creature that could care less about how imperfect we are.

3 comments:

Cupcake Blonde said...

Pets are just the greatest and provide us with much needed unconditional love.

jellybean said...

they sure do. it's like, if you ever doubt yourself your pet is always right there to say "i love you. i need you. i'll sit with you!"

Anonymous said...

:)

That's my boy!