Tuesday, April 29, 2008

a funny story

my niece Gomer is 3 and 1/2. she is very perceptive.
you don't get anything past her.
i guess her mother(middle sis) decided it was best to teach her about mother's that breastfeed. seeing as how i was the latest person in her life performing the task.

the first time she saw me do it was at christmas at my meme's house.
middle sis was in the back room with me, helping me master the art(teege was a little over 2 months old) and gomer comes to hunt us down.

she asked me "what's baby timothy doing?"
"he's eating" i explain. not wanting to say much more b/c i wasn't sure that i should be the one to tell her all about it.
middle sis pulls gomer up on her lap and says "remember how i told you mommys make milk in their boobs for their babies? well baby timothy is getting his milk. i fed you that way when you were a baby and you'll be able to feed your babies like that when you are grown if you want."

she stares at me for a second or two and then she says, mater of factly, "does he like that milk from your boob?"
it was hard to answer without laughting, she was serious afterall. "he sure does" was all i managed to giggle out.

at middle siss's b-day party this past sunday i sit on the couch to nurse teege. gomer and i had been playing so she was following me around and came in to the living room. since she knew all about what was going on i wasn't the least bit worried about questions.
gomer goes and sits on the fireplace, i took the opportinity to latch teege on while her back was turned. she get's all settled on the hearth and stares across the room at me intently.
"is baby tj getting his milk?" she asks me.
"he is." i state.
"is he sucking on your boob??"

oh my goodness!!
I WANTED TO DIE!
it was the funniest thing! and it's so hard not to laugh b/c she is so serious when she says these things.
"he does." i reply.
"well did you drink the milk so he could get some too?"
"mmmhhmmmm."
i didn't know what else to say. would she really understand that i work basically the same way as a cow does right now??
she didn't ask anything else after that.
she sure can be funny without meaning to. i'm just glad she knew enough about it that it wasn't 101questions. i wouldn't have known which ones her mother wanted me to answer.

kids do say the darndest things.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

She didn't hear that word from me... ;)

Cupcake Blonde said...

That one is so precocious! :)

I have never known her name (always referred to as Niece), how unusual. How did they come up with that?

jellybean said...

vp~
gomer is the name of a woman out of the bible. she is in the book of hosea. it's kind of an odd story but at the end the woman is redeemed, saved by the Lord. and that is why they named her such.
her name is Gomer Avery. i believe she is taking on the nickname of Geegee b/c some of her dear little friends can't say the name. i on the other hand have become so accustomed to calling her by her name that i don't think any nickname will ever stick on my tounge.